Unwanted water in a home or business is a stressful situation. Water damage accounts for one-fifth of insurance claims every year. A pipe crack that is just an eighth of an inch can send out more that 200 gallons of water daily, so you can imagine how serious the damage could be to your home or business its contents.
Successful water damage restoration begins with fast response, because damage increases with each hour. Your home or business may look dry, but behind the walls there may be significant water damage that can lead to later drywall damage or rotting in your structural framing.
What to do AFTER the waters been turned off.
Hire a water damage insurance restoration company. These professionals come in and make an appraisal of the entire situation and can determine the cause of the flooding and the extent of the losses that have occurred. These water damage experts will pinpoint the cause of the water damage and you will be in a better position to deal with your insurance company and to file a claim.
A reputable water damage insurance restoration company will provide the following services:
- water extraction
- sewage extraction and decontamination
- carpet drying, cleaning and restoration
- floor drying, cleaning and restoration
- structure and content cleaning
- dry out and mold prevention
- damage and restoration reconstruction
The following safety measure should be considered:
- stay out of areas where ceilings are sagging because of water
- move computers and other electronics to a dry area
- remove lamps and telephones from wet furniture
- do not place foil squares, saucers or wood blocks under furniture legs to protect carpet
- do not operate vacuums or other appliances while standing on wet floors